11.04.2008

Per Your Request

This recipe came from the Cuisine at Home magazine. If you like to cook and you like really good food, I highly recommend this cooking magazine. Just about everything I make from these magazines is really good. I love it. This magazine in so reliable it’s like my Bible of good recipes.

PUMPKIN SPICED DOUGHNUTS
Makes about 18 doughnuts and holes
Total time: 1 hour

Whisk together; add:
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
½ cup sugar
½ cup buttermilk
¼ brown sugar
3 T. unsalted butter, melted
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda

Fold in; pat out:
3 cup sifted all-purpose flour

Fry in;
Vegetable oil

Whisk egg and yolk together in a large bowl until frothy. Add pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk, brown sugar, and butter; whisk until combined. Stir in baking powder, pie spice, salt, and soda.

Fold flour in gradually until a sticky dough forms; cover with plastic wrap and freeze 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 2” of oil to 370 degrees in an electric skillet, deep fryer, or straight side pan over medium.

Pat dough on a well-floured surface to ½” thick, then cut with 3” and 1” inch biscuit cutters dipped in flour. Transfer doughnut and holes to a floured baking sheet using a spatula that has been dusted in flour.

Note: I do not have biscuit cutters so I had to be creative. I used a glass that was about 3" wide and for the hole I washed out a tube of Airborn. I know, weird, but it was the only thing I could find that was an inch in diameter and it worked great.

Fry doughnuts and holes in batches in the oil until browned, about 3 minutes, turning once (holes will cook faster). Dry on a paper towel lines baking sheet. Finish with sugar or glaze.

Note: Toss in the sugar while doughnuts are hot. Dip in glaze after doughnuts have cooled.

APPLE CIDER GLAZE

¼ cup apple cider
Pinch of salt
3 cups powdered sugar

Heat cider and salt in small saucepan over low until hot. Off heat, whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Dip cooled doughnuts in glaze and let stand about 5 minutes.

CINNAMON SUGAR

1 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small paper bag. Toss doughnuts and holes in sugar mixture while hot.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Dang Meghann, I have been craving doughnuts since I saw this on your blog. Just what I need, but man, that sounds goooooooooood.

nikki said...

Yay for Cuisine at Home! It is the bible for recipes for reals.

Unguren said...

I love Cuisine at home! I saw that recipe and thought that it looked good...But Blake doesn't like pumpkin so I would end up eating them all myself. No thanks.

Mama Thompson said...

Thank you for sharing...I can't wait to try them.